[MD] Art and Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

Dan Glover daneglover at gmail.com
Thu Jan 9 20:57:47 PST 2014

Hello John, Ian, Andre, and all,

"Each culture presumes its beliefs correspond to some sort of external
reality, but a geography of religious beliefs shows that this external
reality can be just about any damn thing. Even the *facts *that people
observe to confirm the "truth" are dependent on the culture they live in."
[Lila]

I take it we all (presumably) joined this list to be understood.
Disagreements are one thing but goofiness is quite another. I mean, how do
you answer a post like Joe's? As long as I've been here, I've never seen a
cogent post offered up by him. Not once! In that context, for Andre to
suggest he go back and re-read the material is a normal request. He is
attempting to bring Joe into the intellectual fold.

Does that mean Joe and others of his ilk should be banned? Not for me to
say, but if it was, maybe. As John suggests, if a person joins the
group, makes a fool of themselves, but gradually progresses into coherency,
that is acceptable. But how long do we have to read continued nonsense?
Believe me, I am all for giving these folk the benefit of the doubt, but if
we genuinely care about making this group better, there comes a time when
enough is enough.

The real question seems to be: is this discussion group a culture of its
own? And if so, are we presuming these beliefs correspond to some sort of
external (objective) reality? So far as I know, the MOQ subsumes objective
and subjective reality into a framework of value. Are these values to be
found in Lila and ZMM?

Anyway,

Dan

--