[MD] John Carl: Ignoramous or fraud?

Dan Glover daneglover at gmail.com
Sat Nov 5 23:45:06 PDT 2016

Adrie, all,

I always had the impression that Robert Pirsig is a beachcomber
extraordinaire. I think Phaedrus was portrayed as a poor student. He
read voraciously but also skimmed a great deal searching for relevant
information and discarding that which didn't fit. I would also posit
that what makes Pirsig's work accessible for many is the same thing
that turns academia away from his writings: encasing his philosophy in
the form of novels. I've read other philosophers and what a slog. John
was good enough to send me a copy of Randy Auxier's book Time, Will,
and Purpose: Living Ideas from the Philosophy of Josiah Royce and yes
it was a bit of a snore. I am sure that sort of academic writing
appeals to a certain reader but for me it is exceedingly difficult to
stay interested. That isn't to say I don't appreciate the work that
went into Randy's work. I do. I just don't see how it is accessible to
a lot of readers in the way Pirsig is. I guess you could liken Randy's
work to deep sea diving. Whitehead too. To me, it is much more
enlightening to simply walk down a beach picking up pretty shells.

Thank you,

Dan

http://www.danglover.com