[MD] Annotations to LC

Dan Glover daneglover at gmail.com
Thu Nov 17 20:48:26 PST 2016

Tuk,

On Thu, Nov 17, 2016 at 6:03 PM, Tuukka Virtaperko
<mail at tuukkavirtaperko.net> wrote:
> Dan,

>>> Tuukka:
>>> You wrote: "It seems to me that in Definition #5 subjects can also be
>>> objects. Thus any distinction between them is meaningless."
>>
>> Dan:
>> For the record, I didn't write that. Robert Pirsig wrote it in
>> response to Donny's post:
>>
>> "Donny: 'Subject' means 'knowing subject', and 'object' means 'known
>> object.'
>>
>> 5. Philosophy. Something intelligible or perceptible by the mind.
>>
>> What Robert Pirsig is pointing to is Donny's definition and how it
>> makes any distinction between them (known subject, known object)
>> meaningless. Key word: known. So I think you've misinterpreted what is
>> being said.
>

> Tuukka:
>
> Okay, so Pirsig says that in definition 5 the distinction is meaningless but
> he uses another definition. In any case Pirsig argues:
>
> In definition 5 subjects can be objects. Therefore the distinction between
> subjects and objects is meaningless in definition 5.
>
> How come? Even if subjects can be objects, can objects be subjects? If they
> can, a rock can be a subject. What would that kind of a subject be, apart
> from being at least superficially silly?

Dan:
You seem to be taking subjects and objects as primary.

>>> Sometimes deduction is Dynamic.
>>
>> Dan:
>> Oh no. Dynamic Quality comes first. Deduction may appear as a flash of
>> insight but without intellect, how can there be deduction?
>

> Tuukka:
> Oh come on, dmb does rhetoric all the time but I'm not allowed to?

Dan:
Where did rhetoric enter the discussion? What I said was if there is
no intellect there can be no deduction. Dynamic Quality comes first.

>>> Sometimes a correct and relevant
>>> deduction just pops into my mind out of nowhere. Is that static?
>>
>> Dan:
>> Yes.
>>
>>> No,
>>> otherwise it would've already been there. Is that experience?
>>
>> Dan:
>> The deduction comes after experience.
>

> Tuukka:
> The experience is identified as deduction afterwards.

Dan:
Yes.

>>> Yes... I
>>> don't quite understand what would someone mean by stating that it's
>>> not experience. But it's perhaps not empirical experience.
>>
>> Dan:
>> If you want to qualify it like that, yes. Deduction is always a memory.
>

> Tuukka:
> Well, one needs to remember the premises.

>>> Tuukka:
>>>
>>> But does that framework make sense? Idealism is just a nominal feature
>>> of Pirsig's MOQ. Suppose Pirsig's MOQ were a car with those furry dice
>>> hanging from the front window. The furry dice would be idealism. Then
>>> you tried to sell that car to a guy who hates furry dice. He could
>>> just take the furry dice off and the customer wouldn't consider it an
>>> essentially different car. That's the problem. Idealism is just stuck
>>> on to Pirsig's MOQ. It doesn't function, it's just an inert add-on.
>>>
>>> The theory of static value patterns isn't idealistic. What makes the
>>> MOQ norminally idealistic are Pirsig's some strikingly casual and
>>> short remarks in the LS annotations.
>>
>> Dan:
>> It appears (to me) that you've either misread or misinterpreted Lila.
>

> Tuukka:
> It appears to me that you're a busy man.

Dan:
I am. And it appears I am wasting my time here.

>>> Tuukka:
>>> Pirsig states in LILA that the MOQ is logically consistent. This means
>>> Pirsig's MOQ disallows dialetheia. I know, you'd expect Pirsig's MOQ to
>>> allow
>>> them. I'd expect that too. But according to Pirsig it doesn't.
>>
>> Dan:
>> You are (apparently) fixating upon one form of logic to the exclusion
>> of all else.
>

> Tuukka:
> Did you mean: "Pirsig is fixating... "?

Dan:
No.

>>> Tuukka:
>>> The static patterns in LILA don't contain idealism. They contain
>>> materialism. Idealism is something Pirsig just sticks on the MOQ in
>>> LC, you know, like gluing a sore thumb on the hood of your car.
>>
>> Dan:
>>  From http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/idealism/
>> It nevertheless seems safe to say that within modern philosophy there
>> have been two fundamental conceptions of idealism:
>>
>> 1. something mental (the mind, spirit, reason, will) is the ultimate
>> foundation of all reality, or even exhaustive of reality, and
>>
>> 2 although the existence of something independent of the mind is
>> conceded, everything that we can know about this mind-independent
>> “reality” is held to be so permeated by the creative, formative, or
>> constructive activities of the mind (of some kind or other) that all
>> claims to knowledge must be considered, in some sense, to be a form of
>> self-knowledge.
>>
>> There are numerous examples of idealism in Lila. Here are a few:
>>
>> The Dharmakaya light.
>

> Tuukka:
> Hallucinations do not prove idealism, so why would Dharmakaya light?
>

>> "It is this subjective side of values that led to their being long
>> tabooed as improper for consideration by natural science," Kroeber and
>> Kluckhohn said.
>

> Tuukka:
> How does this pertain to idealism?

Dan:
I provided the Stanford definition for a reason. Or did you not realize that?

>> By virtue of their subjective emotion and ethical character, norms and
>> especially values are among the world's most difficult objects to
>> identify with certainty.
>

> Tuukka:
> How does this pertain to idealism?
>

>> In a subject-object metaphysics morals and art are worlds apart,
>> morals being concerned with the subject quality and art with object
>> quality. But in the Metaphysics of Quality that division doesn't
>> exist. They're the same. They both become much more intelligible when
>> references to what is subjective and what is objective are completely
>> thrown away and references to what is static and what is Dynamic are
>> taken up instead.
>

> Tuukka:
> None of these citations have so far even mentioned idealism.

Dan:
Okay. Have it your way. I am pretty much done here.

--
http://www.danglover.com