[MD] Why does Pirsig write everybody's right about mind and matter although his theses imply the opposite?

david at goodmetaphysics.com david at goodmetaphysics.com
Fri Oct 28 19:25:06 PDT 2016

dmb said:

As odd or paradoxical as it may sound, pure experience not only logically precedes subjects and objects, it also logically precedes logic. The strangeness of this claim evaporates when you see that having an experience is one thing but talking about it or reflecting on it is a different thing.

But this is not really related to the criticism I was offering either. Let me know if you're interested in that

djh responds:

That’s right dmb.  Quality precedes logic.  This is the insight which Pirsig provides.

Tuukka is pointing to what he sees as a logical contradiction between two things but cannot see that it’s exactly this type of low quality contradiction the MOQ avoids. It avoids it by placing Quality/experience at the center - not truth.

"There is an evil tendency underlying all our technology - the tendency to do what is reasonable even when it isn't any good.” - RMP.

Tuukka asked:

If logic is psychical how can pure experience logically precede subject and object? After all, logic doesn't exist at the stage where

this precession should take place.

dmb says:

As odd or paradoxical as it may sound, pure experience not only logically precedes subjects and objects, it also logically precedes logic. The strangeness of this claim evaporates when you see that having an experience is one thing but talking about it or reflecting on it is a different thing.

But this is not really related to the criticism I was offering either. Let me know if you're interested in that

a, pre, code, a:link, body { word-wrap: break-word !important; }