[MF] MOQ and theism

david buchanan dmbuchanan at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 24 14:04:43 PST 2005

Hello MOQers and theists:

Sam said:
...you need to get clear on what is meant by 'theism', ie what it is that
Pirsig is rejecting with the MoQ, and what it is that may or may not be
claimed by, eg, Christianity.

Kevin said:
For the record, theism, for me, is about the belief that God is a person who
is present in the world.

dmb says:
I want to start by thanking Marsha for re-posting those relevant Pirsig
quotes and Anthony for clarifying the source of those quotes. Secondly, I'd
like to suggest that answering the question of where theism fits in the MOQ
should not revolve around any particular sectarian claims, what it means
"for me", what will offend grandma or how we see it on any particular
morning. Instead, I think the question has to be approched in broader,
historical terms. It seems that theists might be tempted to carefully define
"theism" so as to MAKE it fit into the MOQ, but I think the issue is best
understood in terms of an evolutionary struggle in Western history. The
author of the MOQ has already described the MOQ as anti-theistic. That much
is pretty clear. I think the trick is to understand WHY theism would be a
problem for the MOQ, to understand what Pirsig is rejecting.

Kevin replied to Anthony:
I'd like to take a closer look at the indeterminate vs.determinate argument.
  I'm not sure I would agree with Northrop's view on this. Sounds like an
argument for holding God in a box. ...And I'd like to hear more about why
you believe Dynamic Quality has no personality.  ...The question that I
ponder is, is the Quality of Pirsig's MoQ in any way like a theist's God?

dmb says:
Huh? Isn't Northrop argument is AGAINST putting God in a box. Likewise, DQ
cannot rightly be equated with a theistic God because DQ cannot be put into
a box. Take another look. Northrop says (In “Logic of the Sciences &
Humanities”,p.376-77):

“The divine object in the West is an unseen God the Father. This means that
He cannot be known by the aesthetic intuition after the manner of the divine
being of the Orient. Christ tells us that His kingdom is not of this world.
St. Paul asserts that the things that are seen are temporal and that it is
only the things which are unseen which are eternal. All the theistic
religions affirm in addition that the determinate personality is immortal.
Certainly this is not true of the self given with immediacy in the aesthetic
intuition….  Western religion becomes [therefore] defined as one which
identifies the divine with the timeless or invariant factor in the theoretic
component [of knowledge].”

I think the contrast between "aesthetic intuition" and "the theoretic
component" can be seen as a contrast between DQ and sq. And this makes all
the difference. This is why Pirsig says that only a true mystic can equate
DQ with God and why the MOQ is anti-theistic. Please recall Pirsig's
description of Plato's blunder, that he tried to "encapsulate" the Good and
thereby turned it into a "fixed and rigid" thing. This is the same sort of
"theoretic component" which is to be contrasted with "aesthetic intuition".
Or, to put it in more ordinary terms, hypothetical entities are different
than actual experience.

And as Robert Morrsion explains it in Volume 1 of the WESTERN BUDDHIST
REVIEW, Platonic forms and theistic gods are part of the same
"encapsulation" problem. "In the West, this Platonic world-view provided the
theological framework for Christianity. As Augustine tells us, 'Christianity
is Platonism for the people'.  Plato's 'True World' becomes Christianised as
the 'Kingdom of God', which is now accessible to more than philosophers as
one can enter it by faith alone. However, the object of faith can only be
verified at death-what is called 'eschatological verification'." I think
that it makes a great deal of sense to see Pirsig's anti-theism and
anti-Platonism as part of the same move, as a matter of consistancy. Theism
got hooked up with Plato's "fixed and rigid" things long ago, you see? Its a
problem that effects the whole culture, its a cultural "blindspot" that
effects religion just as much as metaphysics...

Robert Morrison in the WBR:
"Nietzsche's assertion that 'God is Dead' is not simply a theological
statement. This statement, although it certainly does have its theological
aspect, is essentially a statement proclaiming the plight of modern Western
culture. Succinctly stated, the 'Death of God' refers to the complete loss
of belief in the accepted religious and metaphysical world-view along with
the system of values it upholds, in particular its moral values. The 'Death
of God' announces the advent of the age of
nihilism, an age of cultural barrenness arising from this loss of belief,
and which may well end in catastrophe as far as any truly human existence is
concerned."

When the problem is framed this way, as "the plight of modern Western
culture", I think the MOQ looks like a pretty good solution. Seems pretty
safe to say that Pirsig sees the loss of morals and values as a catastrophe
and that his solution entails ressurecting the Quality of the Sophists. He
takes us back to take a look at their "unencapsulated" Quality. This is the
problem with metaphysics AND religion in the West. Despite the bitter
differences, they've both buried DQ under a pile of static theories or
static doctrines.

"Phaedrus saw nothing wrong with this ritualistic religion as long as the
rituals are seen as merely a static portrayal of DQ, a sign-post which
allows socially pattern-dominated people to see DQ. The problem has always
been that the rituals, the static patterns, are mistaken for what they
merely represent and are allowed to destroy the DQ they were originally
intended to preserve."

As Northrop, Pirsig, Campbell and many others suggest, part of the solution
to this plight will be to look at the non-theistic spriritual traditions of
the east...

"Already in the 8th century B.C., in the Chhandogya Upanisad, the key word
to such a meditation is announced; TAT TVAM ASI, "Thou art That", or "You
yourself are It!". The final sense of a religion such as Hinduism or
Buddhism is to bring about in the individual an experience, one way or
another, of his own IDENTITY with that mystery that is the mystery of all
being. ...it is the mystery also of many of our own Occidental mystics; and
many of these have been burned for having said as much. Westward of Iran, in
all three of the great traditions that have come to us from the Near Eastern
zone, namely Judaism, Christianity, and Islam, such concepts are unthinkable
and sheer heresy. God created the world. Creator and creature cannot be the
same, since, as Aristotle tells us, A is not-A. Our theology, therefore,
begins from the point of view of waking consciousness and Aristotelian
logic; whereas, on another level of consciousness - and this, the level to
which all religions must finally refer - the ultimate mystery transcends the
laws of dualistic logic, causality and space-time. Anyone who says, as Jesus
is reported to have said (John 10:30), 'I and the Father are One', is
declared in our tradition to have blasphemed."

The microwave oven just went "ding", which means its time to eat my palak
paneer, which happens to be an Indian dish.

Thanks,
dmb