[MF] MOQ and theism

Michael Hamilton thethemichael at gmail.com
Fri Dec 30 20:04:23 PST 2005

Hi Marty,

You asked:
> Question for you, Kevin.  What does it mean to "Live a life of Quality"?
> What would such a life look like?  Is it merely an INTENTION to live a
> certain way, or do you envision a path to follow, that any man could
> emulate?  Would a "life of Quality" require certain activities and restrict
> others?  I'm curious about what you have in mind when you suggest this.

That's no small question! For me, it's the most important question,
and one that all philosophy should aim at. I love ZMM because the
central part of Pirsig's writing, Quality, is all about life and life
experience.

I don't think that a life of Quality requires "certain activities" or
restrictions in any absolute sense. The point of undefined Quality or
undefined Dynamic Quality is that we can't create any complete recipe
for goodness. But, of course, there are certain SQ patterns that we
can put our faith in, such as the ones Kevin mentioned: honesty and
compassion. Kevin also said that we should be "aware", and I strongly
agree with this, because it implies openness to DQ.

Also, I don't think we can say that Quality is only about intentions
or only about actions. It's about the whole thing, the whole of life.

Many thanks for your thought-provoking questions!

Mike