[MF] MOQ and theism

Marty Jorgensen mjorgensen at vpdinc.com
Fri Dec 30 23:10:00 PST 2005

Thanks to Kevin and Mike for your responses on living a life of quality.
Since the original subject is theism, I have often suspected that dynamic
Quality is a description for what some would refer to as God; not in the
sense of a supreme being, but more in line with a Tao-like definition.  My
dictionary defines theism thusly:  "Belief in the existence of a god or
gods, especially belief in a personal God as creator and ruler of the
world."  So if the broader definition is used, (belief in the existence of a
god or gods), then I would say that the MOQ could easily be seen as
theistic, although not in the traditional "God as supreme being" sense. If
theism can be defined as a belief in a guiding force or creative source from
which everything flows, then Quality could be defined as that force or
"god", could it not?  Perhaps Pirsig means to replace traditional religious
beliefs with this broader notion of Quality, and if he does, then the MOQ is
certainly theistic.

Perhaps living a life of Quality IS a spiritual path.

Marty J