[MF] Mysticism again

Sam Norton elizaphanian at kohath.wanadoo.co.uk
Fri Nov 11 08:22:35 PST 2005

Hi people, particular hello and welcome back to Marco,

It's been pointed out that there is a great waste of effort when discussing
Pirsig's metaphysics when one group (a) wants to explore the implications,
whereas another group (b) wants to examine the presuppositions. Seems to me that
it is perfectly legitimate to have two separate groups pursuing the different
agendas, so that the projects of group (a) aren't always undermined or drowned
by the concerns of group (b) - which are often more vocal!! (said as someone who
is often a group (b) person) - as long as there is periodic feedback or coming
together to share insights.

That's the precise same reason, though, why I wanted to separate out a general
'mysticism' discussion from a specific 'moq from a Xn point of view' discussion.
Those of you familiar with my many-year-long discussion with DMB on the subject
of mysticism will know that we are never likely to agree on the presuppositions
(the equivalent of group (b)) and my interests at the moment are much more to do
with exploring the inter-relations and tensions between the MoQ and
Christianity, ie the equivalent of group (a). That's all - which is why I think
they need to be separated.

Is there a reason why we can't 'let the thousand flowers bloom' and allow
different fora to be started up as people wish, and then those which prosper get
set up formally, and those that don't prosper wither away? Seems quite
evolutionary to me, and moqish.

I have in mind this experiment done for putting paths across a town square
(might have been a university quad actually) whereby there were no paths put in
to begin with, but then, as people crossed the green, they tended to take
particular paths, which wore down the grass and then became the 'official'
paths - duly stamped by those in authority. I have something similar in mind.

Sam
http://elizaphanian.blogspot.com/