[MF] Dharmakaya Light

Lorenz Gude lgude at fastmail.fm
Sat Mar 11 03:17:57 PST 2006

Hi again all,

I find myself thinking about Ted Cole's Dad's painting 'The Prospector'
so I'll just set down a few ideas before I lose them.

Broadly I see the painting  in symbolic terms as analogy of a prospector
searching for something, indeed heading right for something very
special, transcendent perhaps. A prospector searching for gold is a
pretty comfortable fit for a philosopher searching for Quality.

The painting is not realistic, so Ted's father is giving us a pretty
clear indication that he doesn't intend to limit the meaning of the
painting to the literal. And however he thought of his subject
consciously he was very aware that something very special was the object
of the quest.

I also immediately think of Carl Jung for whom Alchemy was a major
concern. Jung argued at length (Psychology and Alchemy) that Alchemy was
not just a superstitious precursor of modern chemistry, but made much
more sense when viewed as a guide to an inner process of psychic
transformation. He found in the detail of Alchemy helpful information to
map and understand the process by which human beings grow
psychologically - particularly in maturity and especially to very high
levels of inner attainment which he characterized as wholeness.

So in 'The Prospector' it is pretty easy for me to see  a man on some
form of this inner journey as well as an outer one.  I think it is fair
to say that he is clearly more than a beginner, but still a seeker.
Given what Persig has suggested about the significance  of this use of
light in paintings, we can say that this prospector  is 'on the way' in
a process of some kind of transformation and not far from his goal. The
painting says a lot about where Ted's Dad was when he painted it too. He
clearly touched something important although he wouldn't need to know
anything about Jung or what Persig was to write later. That is one of
the nice things about art and creativity in general - the very process
is a direct engagement of processes of inner transformation.

I also note in passing that  Persig and Jung were steeped in both
Western and Eastern thought. Both are therefore to some extent
synthesizers of the two, so it is  not entirely tangential to bring up
Jung. I know that it is a key reason why I am attracted to Persig, but I
am not enough of a philosopher to work how he  might be synthesizing
his  knowledge of Hindu and Buddhist philosophy with Western philosophic
thought.  (Has this been  much discussed in forums or in essays of which
I am unaware?) I am much more a psychologist and practitioner of Eastern
mysticism (Tibetan Buddhist Bon tradition mainly and Chinese  Taoist
practices - google Mantak Chia.) so Jung is often more accessible for
me, but Persig continues to seem important - to strike me as  a source
of Quality worth my while pursuing.

Lorenz Gude