[MF] Dharmakaya Light

Muzikhed at aol.com Muzikhed at aol.com
Sat Mar 11 22:10:38 PST 2006

Lorenz, TedG, Steve, Rebecca, Maggie,
                         and others fascinated by light -

Thanks, first to Lorenz for posting my dad's painting, and my  sketches.
I could not get my AOL Pictures to work, so I appreciated his help.

For convenience, here are the links again:
E. Cole Painting        _http://www.yankeewombat.com/?p=84_
(http://www.yankeewombat.com/?p=84)
Sun  ray Sketches      _http://www.yankeewombat.com/?p=78_
(http://www.yankeewombat.com/?p=78)
Pacific  Coast Sketch  _http://www.yankeewombat.com/?p=80_
(http://www.yankeewombat.com/?p=80)

I also appreciate Lorenz' remarks, (thanks) including.  :
" Broadly I see the painting  in symbolic terms as analogy of a  prospector
searching for something, indeed heading right for something very
special, transcendent perhaps. "

---------------
   I wish I could get something from my dad about what he  intended, or
better, what he was feeling when we painted it.   Though  I will visit him
tomorrow, and he is entirely lucid at quite healthy at age 84,  I doubt I can get
anything out of him like that.  If I really pushed  him on it, he'd probably say
that he re-worked that area, and that's just  how it turned out.  In other
words, I know he would deny  everything.    But that's just the way he is:
apparently  extremely sensitive in art and music, but 'hyper-rational', i.e. in
denial  of anything but science.

   He said he remembered reading ZMM, but didn't remember  seeing any
philosophy in it. (Wow !  I guess he just skipped over  those parts ??)  He said he'd
ditched God and Philosophy at about the same  time (early 1940's).  He said
he was nervous about the God thing for a  few weeks, but since no lightning
struck, he figured it was all  BS.    He's been living happily ever since.  He
did  wonder if my recent renewed interest in Philosophy meant I was "having
another  emotional crisis."   I indicated "no", but that shows where he's  coming
from.  Last week told him I had written about us, and his art on the  MF, and
asked if he wanted a copy.  His e-mail response: "I don't know  anything about
Pirsig."  So, I let it drop.

Since he believes in science, he believes in psychiatry, I  suppose.  Maybe
I'll ask my dad if he read Jung.  Also,  perhaps, when did he paint it, before
the war (WW2), or after?  He  claims the war didn't change him.  He was an
army photographer in  Europe with a Bridge Engineering group.

On MoQ:  Value , Yes or No, Why?
Side note to lurkers on the question of why I value the MoQ:  My  father does
not believe in God, yet he is a good man.  He is not  greedy, or selfish.  He
believes only in science - yet he can  create art.  Largely from his example,
I've tried to put a little  art in my science, a little science in my art,
despite the costs in terms of  gaining full success, or full respect from either
side.   It's a  lonely position - somewhat like the MoQ.  Bridging logical
and mystical,  East and West, but overlooked by both sides, lost in the middle.
Real  artists and poets and musicians consider me a stiff, square  engineer.
 Professional engineers consider me a flaky,  over-emotional, guitar playing,
ex-tree hugging hippie type.  In  the middle. And they're both somewhat
right.
   I haven't studied philosophy that much, so I'm weak for  arguments, I just
resonate with the MoQ, apparently both rationally and  irrationally.  I claim
to understand it.  I may be wrong, but no-one  has helped me correct that
notion yet.

A few quick notes on my sun-ray sketches.
These are not Dharmakaya light,  but are visual de-filtering

In the Lime Lake sketch, note the horizon bulged by the  reflection, the sun
rays extending slightly in front of the far tree  line, and the shading that
'lift's the reflection off the water.
This was your proverbial perfect day: good friendships renewed, good food,
summer afternoon, good kids, no bugs, no conflicts.

The other sketch was at Meadowbrook, a beautiful outdoor concert venue  in SE
Michigan.
This was sketched in '91 at a Robt.Cray/John Lee Hooker concert.
Meadowbrook was also the site of Brain Wilson' Smile concert in 2005.

Regarding my Pacific Coast Sketch, here is my trip log for that  afternoon:

Sat Nov 9  Still cloudy.
Mendocino ~11:00-11:45 (Sketch)
12:50 Pt Arena flat.

Pt Arena Cattle - ranchers
 still sunny.  Vultures ?
                    red head

1:30 Anchor Bay
leaving at 2:30   Beach Access (Sketch)

3:30 ? A high point on 1-S of Ft Ross. (Sketch)

Sunset - Bodega Bay - seal near dock.  Birds.

...etc.

So the sketch was somewhere between Anchor Bay and Bodega Bay.

In Fritjof Capra's "The Tao of Physics" (1975, p197. Bantam  paperback),
Dharmakaya is mentioned in this context:

"The Brahman of the Hindus, like the Dharmakaya of the Buddhists, and the
Tao of the Taoists, can be seen, perhaps, as the ultimate unified field, from
which spring not only the phenomena studied in physics, but all other phenomena
 as well. "

Thanks for reading.

Ted