[MF] Dharmakaya Light

Muzikhed at aol.com Muzikhed at aol.com
Sun Mar 12 19:38:43 PST 2006

Follow-up For those who read my last post re my father's painting - ("the
Prospector")

I visited my dad today, and asked if he remembered when he painted it, and
what inspired it.
As I expected, he couldn't remember any thing inspiring it - but that he  had
at the time taken an interest in Chinese landscapes, with the steep rocks
and misty atmosphere, blues & greens.  I said the man looked  Western though,
the western hat, almost cowboy.  He agreed.  Yeah, he  intended that.    He
remembered he was experimenting with getting  gray - not from black and white
pigments, but instead from combining  colored pigments to make gray.

He couldn't remember exactly when he painted it, but after he went to art
school in the late 40's, so about 1950.  Also he described stretching  his own
canvases, ordering his own pigments from some store in New York City,  grinding
the pigments, and mixing with linseed oil to make his  paint.

Interesting.  He put a cowboy in a Chinese painting, put a special  light on
the guy, but it didn't MEAN anything to him that he can recall.   Just playing
with the pigments.

Thanks again, to Lorenz for the assistance, & to all for all the  interesting
input on this topic.

Ted C

p.s. to Kevin - thanks, yes, I'm normally comfortable with  solitude.  In
fact it may be my comfort with solitude co-evolved with  my 'lonely' position.
 Good to hear from you.