[MF] Dharmakaya Light

Lorenz Gude lgude at fastmail.fm
Sat Mar 18 22:23:39 PST 2006

Hi Ted et al.

Sorry I haven't replied sooner I have been just plain busy. I really
enjoyed your account of your father's reaction. It reminds me of just
how unnecessary it is for the artist to know about any philosophic or
psychological interpretation of the work. El Greco might have answered
in similar fashion, if asked about the light in the paintings.

Your father's reaction reminds me of Persig's discussion of the
difference between a philosopher and a - I believe the word is -
philosophologist - ie one who studies philosophy. (I just can't find the
passage in Lila - Chapter anyone?) Here there is no question of what
comes first - the chicken or the egg. We know the philosophy or the
painting come first  -the rest is secondary.

 There is a story about Joyce and his secretary Beckett that illustrates
this point nicely. Beckett's instructions from Joyce in taking dictation
for Finnegan's Wake were to write down everything Joyce said exactly as
he said it - except for conversations outside the dictation about
breakfast or whatever. One day someone unexpectedly knocked on the door
of the room where they were working  and Joyce said, "Come in." and
Beckett wrote it down before he could stop himself. When the visitor
left Beckett asked Joyce if he should take it out. Joyce considered the
matter and said, "No, leave it in."

I could say a lot of critic things about the role of the accidental in
art or Dada or whatever,  but the bottom line is I trust Joyce and his
instinct to leave it in and I trust your father's instinct to grind his
pigments and experiment with Chinese art and prospectors. I trust them
because both works - Finnegan's Wake and your father's painting  give me
an experience of Quality.

Lorenz Gude